SLY BOOTH - IF HEARTACHE WERE SILVER

[Intro] [Verse] You left a ring in the sugar bowl By the cracked-up sink in the hall I found your comb by the back screen door And your handprint on the wall [Verse] The coffee burned in the blue enamel pot The clock kept hitting me hard I stood there staring at a suitcase latch In the dim light of the yard [Chorus] If I could trade these tears For something I could hold I'd be the richest man In this town of coal If heartache was silver I'd be rolling in gold If heartache was silver I'd be rich, Lord I know I'd buy back your footsteps From the dust in the road If heartache was silver I'd be rolling in gold [Verse] I drove past the mill with the screen door dent And the diner with the red vinyl seat Your name hit me like a front porch chain When the wind came up the street [Verse] Now the dog don't sleep by the empty chair And the house sounds thin at night I keep one eye on that mailbox flag Like your truck might turn in right [Chorus] If I could trade these tears For something I could hold I'd be the richest man In this town of coal If heartache was silver I'd be rolling in gold If heartache was silver I'd be rich, Lord I know I'd buy back your footsteps From the dust in the road If heartache was silver I'd be rolling in gold [Bridge] Take this empty pocket Take this trembling hand I learned the hard way baby A man can lose his land But I'd give every dollar Every dime I've ever known For one more Sunday morning With your coat hung up at home [Chorus] If heartache was silver I'd be rolling in gold If heartache was silver I'd be rich, Lord I know I'd buy back your footsteps From the dust in the road If heartache was silver I'd be rolling in gold [Outro]