SLY BOOTH - YOU NEVER LEARNED

(Verse 1) We’ve walked a long dirt road, you and me, old friend, Through good times and bad, I thought it’d never end. I held my tongue a hundred times when your words cut like a knife, Bit down on my pride just to keep the peace in my life. You’d smile and say “thank you” with that same old crooked grin, Then turn around and take more till there was nothin’ left within. I gave you my last dollar, my shoulder, and my time, But you drained me dry, brother, like cheap whiskey and cheap wine. (Chorus) You never learned when to shut your mouth, Never knew when harsh words should head south. If you can’t say somethin’ nice, just say nothin’ at all— That’s what Mama taught us, but you never heard the call. You talked and you talked till the friendship wore thin, Now the road we been travelin’ is comin’ to an end. Yeah, you never learned when to shut your mouth… (Verse 2) I remember late nights on your old front porch swing, Swappin’ stories ‘bout life and the dreams we’d bring. I lifted you up when the world knocked you down, But every kind word from me turned into your next put-down. You said you were thankful, yeah, I heard it more than twice, But actions speak louder and yours cut deeper than ice. Gave more than I ever got, till my well ran bone dry, Today’s the day, old friend, you take no more from this guy. (Chorus) You never learned when to shut your mouth, Never knew when harsh words should head south. If you can’t say somethin’ nice, just say nothin’ at all— That’s what Mama taught us, but you never heard the call. You talked and you talked till the friendship wore thin, Now the road we been travelin’ is comin’ to an end. Yeah, you never learned when to shut your mouth… (Bridge) I’ll wash my hands in the river that runs by this town, Let the current carry the hurt and the let-down. In my heart I know I really tried, gave it all I could, But a man’s gotta save himself when the takin’ turns no good. (Final Chorus – slower, spoken-sung) You never learned when to shut your mouth, Kept runnin’ it till the light burned out. The road ends here, no turnin’ back now, I’m movin’ on, head held high somehow. If you can’t say somethin’ nice… well, you know the rest, But you never learned… and now we lay this friendship to rest. (Outro – soft, fading) Yeah… you never learned when to shut your mouth…