SLY BOOTH DAMNATION BLUES

[Verse 1] The clock is strikin’ midnight, the wind is turnin’ cold Hellhounds scratchin’ at my window, comin’ for this wicked soul I put myself above all others, took whatever I could steal Crushed the ones who loved me, just to feed the way I feel [Chorus] Damnation blues, they callin’ my name Fire waitin’ down below, and I’m the one to blame Lived only for my selfish hunger, never cared who fell Now Judgment Day has found me, ringin’ out the funeral bell [Verse 2] I stole my brother’s money, lied straight into my mama’s eyes Left my own blood cryin’ hungry while I chased another high Every heart I ever broke, every promise turned to dust I laughed about it all, now the reaper’s come to collect his due [Chorus] Damnation blues, they callin’ my name Heavy chains are rattlin’, and I’m the one to blame Selfish to the bone, I took and never gave Now the book is open wide, and there’s no soul left to save [Verse 3] I see the scales a-tippin’, my deeds outweigh the light Angels turn their backs on me, disappearin’ in the night No time left for mercy, no prayer can change my fate The devil’s train is smokin’, and I’m standin’ at the gate [Bridge] Lord, I had everything I wanted… but I threw my whole world away For a few cheap thrills and empty nights… now I got forever to pay… [Final Chorus] Damnation blues, they draggin’ me down No mercy in these flames, no one else around I lived like a king of sin with a crooked crown Now I’m burnin’ forever… Damnation blues… pullin’ me down.
View on Threads